Monday 9 January 2017

Farewell, for now

It’s come to the end of the assignment, and so this will be my last post for the time being (but I will certainly be back!)

The blog has ended up being based on “mainstreaming” renewable energies and zero emission transport, about exploring a feasible and convenient carbon-free world.

I began this blog rather pessimistic of the “green initiative”. I still think there’s plenty of wishful thinking, but I’ve (and hopefully you guys as well) discovered just how much genuine potential there actually is in renewable energy.

This blog has reignited my drive to "change the world", something that two years of essays, coursework and lectures had almost bludgeoned out of me. It was that drive that really got me interested in geography in the first place, and I'm glad I can finish my degree with that spark back. As geography students studying global environmental change, I think enacting change is part and parcel of the process. Balancing two blogs for two modules was certainly a challenge, but genuinely worth it.

Throughout my blog I have emphasised the importance of pragmatism and dealing with the reality at hand. We still have a long way to go in securing an emissions-free world. There have been some great developments but they require a lot more work. Just remember the words of Genghis Khan

There is no good in anything until it is finished.
(source: Kublai Khan, Marco Polo S01E08 – strongly recommend the show!)

No comments:

Post a Comment